What Is A Home Paternity DNA Test?
A home DNA paternity test is a DNA test that you can take at home to determine the paternity of a child. This type of test is typically used when the father is not known or when there is doubt about the paternity of a child. The test can be done using a swab of the child’s cheek or a sample of the father’s DNA.
Is there a difference between Private and Legal Tests?
A home paternity test is a DNA test that you can take at home to determine the paternity of a child. This type of test is typically used when the father is not known or when there is doubt about the paternity of a child. The test can be done using a swab of the child’s cheek or a sample of the father’s DNA.
At-Home DNA Paternity Test Kits: How do they work?
Getting started with a peace of mind paternity test is simple. Below is a brief outline of what you can expect from our Home Testing process.
- Buy online or contact our office at 888-204-0583 to purchase your DNA kit by phone.
- After you purchase your test kit, please allow up to 24 hours or one business day to ship your kit to your home.
- Once you receive your kit, follow the instructions on how to collect your DNA samples. Sign the chain-of-custody form. Place all of the contents you receive inside of the prepaid return envelope you received and ship your genetic samples back to the lab for analysis.
- When the lab receives all of your genetic samples. Please allow 2 to 3 business days for your results to be completed.
- Upon the completion of your results, a copy will be sent to your physical home address and a copy will be sent by email.
Please note, if you are a New York State resident. Unfortunately, we will not be able to purchase a Home DNA test kit. Due to the guidelines in NYS, the only option available to perform a DNA relationship test is by performing a legal test regardless of the reason. To learn more about our NYC DNA testing service click here.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much does a DNA Home test kit cost?
The cost of an informational peace of mind DNA paternity test starts at $199.99 and up. To order a kit or learn more about this testing option. Call our office today at 888-204-0583 to get started.
How long will it take to receive my results?
The average turnaround time for your DNA test results for a standard peace of mind paternity test is 2 to 3 business days from the date your genetic samples arrive at the laboratory. Please note, that non-standard samples like hair follicles may have longer turnaround times. Please get in touch with our office at 888-204-0583 to learn more about forensic samples and their turnaround times.
Are Home DNA tests accurate?
Yes. Although the testing process is accurate. The accuracy of your home DNA test will be determined by how well you collect your own samples and how well they are kept before the samples are shipped back to the lab.
What samples can be used for Home DNA Paternity Test Kits?
The most common method used to collect DNA samples is buccal swabs. Other methods used are blood, hair follicles, fingernails etc. We recommend that you contact our office at 888-204-0583 to learn more about the use of alternative samples that can be used.
Can a home paternity test be wrong?
Yes. A paternity test could be wrong for a number of reasons.
- Although, most accredited laboratories adhere to strict guidelines to limit mistakes. Human error is could be a factor in a lab.
- The sample collector whether self-collected or collected by a professional DNA sample collector. Mishandling of the samples may occur but is not a frequent occurrence when dealing with an experienced company.
- Make sure when performing a home test. It is recommended that all parties are present to avoid the opportunity to doubt the outcome of your results.
- If you are using forensic samples like hair how were the samples where collected, if a trusted person collected the samples and kept even how well the samples were kept may affect the outcome of your results.
How will the names appear on my report?
If you are performing a Home DNA paternity test you have the option to use your own name or use a pseudonym name if you want to maintain a level of privacy. If you do not want to use real names on your report. Please make sure that you mention this with one of our DNA relationship testing consultants before your DNA kit has been shipped to your home.
Is a legal test the same as a Home Paternity DNA test?
No. An At-Home DNA test is a peace of mind test that cannot be used for any legal purpose. This testing option does not require a legal chain of custody to be established, or a third-party collector to be present to collect your samples. Therefore personal DNA tests performed in the comfort of your home under no circumstance be used as evidence for any legal reason.
Can a peace of mind DNA test be performed if two people live in different states?
Yes. Shipping to an additional state can be done. Please note, that additional fees may apply for this testing option. If you require this a two-state option please contact our office at 888-204-0583 to order and for cost.
Best DNA Samples to collect my samples?
The most common and effective testing DNA sample collection method is performed by buccal swabs. Swabs are a standard part of our Home Kits. It should be noted that the blood draw sample collection method and cheek swab sample collection have similar accuracy in producing genetic profiles for analysis.
Other sample options are not as effective as a buccal swab collection method but can be used if an unusual circumstance requires another method to collect a DNA sample.
Does an alleged biological father need permission to use a DNA Testing kit at home?
Non-legal DNA genetic testing options do not require consent but it is recommended that a conversation takes place before performing any form of DNA genetic testing to prove a biological relationship.
Does IDTO expedite DNA testing services?
Yes. We do provide a rapid testing option where our clients will be able to receive their results the same day. Of course, there will be an additional cost for a rapid testing service.
How does it work?
1. After your purchase your DNA test kit will be shipped overnight to your home.
2. Once you receive your kit and collect your samples, the prepaid return overnight shipment will arrive at the lab first thing in the morning.
3. After the lab receives your samples, your samples will begin testing immediately.
4. Your results will be completed by the end of the same business day.
5. Once your results are completed you will be notified and a copy will be mailed out to your address and a copy will be sent to you by email.
If you are in need of expedited paternity testing results. Please contact our office today at 888-204-0583 to get started.